Today was one of those day’s that started out normal, but kind of ended up “meh”. 4pm rolled around and I was struggling to be productive, so I curled up on the couch for a few minutes… which turned into an hour & a half. I should’ve known. Hey, I was watching House! Medical knowledge. For my future, right?!
Since I’d been in sitting basically ALL day, I went out for a nice walk. Looooving the weather. Anyone else? I was still not completely awake, so I decided to do an ab burner since it had been what, a few months (?) since I’ve done one! Wow. I had a bit of time to spare; we were planning on going to our monthly neighborhood party later. So I went back to an old favorite: http://fitnessista.com/2015/01/barre-ab-burner-video/
6/10 minutes into the video, my abs were on fireeee! Time well spent!
BUUUUT I was still feeling meh. My step-dad asked if we were eating in or out for dinner, and only soup sounded good. Steamy, brothy, soup! Thankfully, this new Ramen place that opened up came to mind. Like how good does that look!
Sadly, the house party took wayyyy too long (mom’s just cant stop talking, right?!) So after getting tired of waiting, I ended up making something at home!
We’d picked up Trader Joe’s Miso Ginger Broth a while ago, and finally put it to use. I picked out some veggies and noodles, and got to work! You’re only 15 minutes away from bliss.
- 3 cups miso ginger broth
- 2 cups (low sodium) vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2" knob of fresh ginger
- 2 medium-large carrots
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 oz noodles* (edamame, bean, buckwheat, ramen)
- seaweed*, optional, like nori
- pinch of red pepper, optional
- 4 sprays liquid amminos (~1.5 tsp low sodium soy sauce)
- Wash all vegetables, scrub the carrots*
- You have a few options to cut/shred the veg: (1) Using the large holes on a box grater, tilt it on an angle. and slide the carrot to get longer thin shreds. Whatever you can't shred, thinly slice. Repeat with the zucchini. (2) Use a spiralizer.
- You should have about 1c packed zucchini, 1.25c packed carrots, but use whatever you want.
- Julienne the ginger
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium. Sautee the ginger and large carrot slices for about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water in another pot to a boil. Add the noodles, and cook according to directions. When done, if using bean noodles, strain, keeping the water, and add 1c into the soup. Rinse the noodles under cool water and set aside.
- After sauteeing the ginger and carrots, add the rest of the liquid and bring to a boil. Add the rest of the carrots and zucchini and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add soy sauce/liquid amminos and red pepper
- Into a serving bowl, add a small forkful of noodles, a few tears of seaweed if using, then ladle in the soup
- *This is ramen inspired soup. If you have ramen noodles, awesome! use them! Most of us can't keep real ramen at home. I used edamame noodles in this instance, and have also used buckwheat and black bean noodles in the past. If using bean noodles, do NOT overcook.
- *Regarding seaweed: Nori you can just tear up into a bowl and pour hot liquid over it to soften. Other seaweed, check the bag. Some types are just put on top to garnish
I had 3 bowls with dinner ….then enjoyed some (TJ’s Organic) Animal Crackers with my nightly tea… they were organic? Does that help? My mom picked them up NOT ME and I couldn’t help myself, they’re good
what kind of soup do you crave while sick?
favorite workout burners?
childhood favorite treats…?